Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bodyworker Shmodyworker

Massage Practitioner or Bodyworker..............really?

When you hear the word "bodyworker", what comes to your mind?...............Now try Massage Practitioner..........yes, much better. According to the Provincial governing body (in BC), anyone who does not have their three years of education and has not written their Board Exams is going to be entitled to calling themselves a bodyworker if they have not met provincial requirements or have only taken a one-year Spa Practitioner program. (As an aside, there is now an AIT agreement which recognizes RMT's from other provinces as qualified RMTs within BC). I personally have two years of solid education and have been trained in Sports, Geriatric, Special Needs, Maternity, and Relaxation Massage. I am a practitioner. I have been trained to recognize risks/contraindications to massage and the modifications necessary, should someone present with an illness (Lupus, High Blood Pressure, etc. etc.). The only thing I cannot offer is Medical Coverage through a plan. I am strictly "wellness". While I might be able to "focus" on certain areas that are troubling, I offer no "treatment". Bodyworker? Nah! Skilled Practitioner? Heck yeah!

I want to establish a finely oiled (every pun intended) business that provides mobile services. That said, "bodyworker" will not be a label attached to any business cards being produced now or in the future. Yes, I may "work" on bodies, but I don't WORK on bodies. Get it? Good.

So, here's to all those skilled hands out there that are unable to call themselves a Massage Therapist, who have been trained in the art of massage, and are capable of calling themselves Massage Practitioners. I mean, we have Practical Nurses don't we? They are Practicing Nurses. I Practice Massage.

Be well everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment