Saturday, August 20, 2011

Gone Fishing

I often wonder if I should be blogging about this particular subject, but a funny thing happened on the way to my computer.

I wanted to open up a word document to start a new project to keep myself entertained, and what popped up?  A word document that I had created in order to let people know that we were having a local Celebration of Life for my Dad.

Today we dedicated a bench up at a private lake called Trojan Pond.  There is an annual fishing derby held there and my brother and dad have gone every year since its inception.(I have to mention that Highland Valley has done an AMAZING thing by creating this little piece of paradise). 

This bench has a plaque that stated the following:

In Memory of Our beloved Husband, Dad, and Grampa
Donald Raymond Hartt
GoneFishing
February 14, 2011

And there is a jumping trout beside the words. 

When we arrived, my brother asked us if we had seen the deer back on the side of the road.  We hadn't. 

My immediate thought, of course was, 'trust dad to show up for someone'.  He did.  For the one that needed him the most today.  My brother.  It was cool.  And, a little later as I was staring out at the lake, a fair-sized fish jumped.  It was cool. 

I acknowledge the absence he must feel, it has to be difficult.  The "first" time without dad. 

I hope he catches the big one today.  Last year dad got to see his son win biggest catch!  And I know that if anyone can make it happen, it's dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment