Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Disconnection Connection

If everything came to a screaming halt, and you were left with nothing but the clothes on your back, would you be okay in your own company?  When was the last time the television or computer were walked away from in exchange for a good old fashioned book?  A board game?  A card game?

One of those remarkable moments in time came yesterday, finding my husband home from work first thing in the morning.  While it was a quiet day at work, it was a blissfully fulfilling day at home.  Since the last time I can even remember, my husband took advantage of a true day off and we made the best of it.  After pulling out a model he's been wanting to start for awhile, and in need of a few small supplies to get started, we ran a few errands in the morning, and par for my usual course upon returning home, only a music station was tuned in.  Husband returned to his hobby and I returned to my reading.  We sat in silence together, nourishing our souls with loving activities, not needing to say a word, happy knowing we were sharing the same space.  It was beautiful.

I usually don't watch a lot of television and opt for time with myself or my friends and family.  As I watch in the world these days, I wonder how often one takes the time to be with oneself and enjoy the refreshing experience it is.  You know, an experience where you completely disconnect from all things electronic that keep you typing away about doing this or doing that, in exchange for a more organic connection.   

For me, disconnecting to all things media related, but for music, allows for a deeper connection.  A connection we should all consider making time for each and every day.  One that enriches our souls through being able to tuck yourself away from the chatter of the world and listen to the chatter of one's soul.  That burning desire to pick up a good book, paint or even garden for that matter.  Time to engage with life outside of the hectic schedule.  A time for you.  Yes YOU.  And, of course, time for those that matter most in our lives, the loved ones we surround ourselves with, not the loved things.

I wish you time for you.  I wish you the experience of time well spent disconnected from media, and reconnected with the richness of life to be lived.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment